Monday, August 25, 2008

Favorite Olympic Moments

Ah, the Olympics. I really look forward to this every 4 years. I wanted so badly to watch this year but we weren't able to get NBC at first because of our "remote" location. I was thrilled when the waiver we filed with the FCC was approved and we were able to get NBC via satellite from both Atlanta and San Francisco. I count myself lucky because I was able to watch a lot of these favorite moments of mine, not once, but twice! 

Men's 4x100 relay (swimming)--Wow. That's all I can say. Wow. I seriously got goosebumps watching this race. Oh, and to the French team, HA! put that on your piano and play it.

 

Nastia Liukin's all-around gold medal win. I love seeing the athletes get emotional. It just kind of brings it all home and makes them more human.

Men's beach volleyball final--the last set of the match, watching Dalhausser block Brazil over and over and over. The guy was a machine. A 6'9" Mr. Clean machine.

 

Men's 100 meter final (track)--Usain Bolt blew me away. I could watch that race 30 times and not get tired of it. On a whim I added him as my friend on facebook so now I can say we are buddies. ;) Go Lightning!

Women's 4x400 relay (track)--watching the USA come from behind to win it was definitely thrilling (sorry couldn't find a picture yet)

Men's Volleyball Final--what a nail biter. I have a whole new appreciation for that sport. My favorite part was the medal ceremony. I loved hearing those men belt out the National Anthem. As Nate said, "This is an awesome song, Mom." I couldn't agree more. My kids asked me why I was crying and I had to assure them that it was good crying.

 

Women's Basketball final--I loved the interview with Lisa Leslie after the win. What an inspirational woman. I loved the shout out she gave to the mothers out there too.

Women's 4 x100 meter relay--When Lauryn Williams picked up the baton and kept running even though there was no way to win or catch up or even avoid disqualification. It was sad, but at the same time inspiring. I think she said something like "there wasn't anything else I could do. I just had to keep going." (Don't quote me on that). While her teammate stood there in agony she sprinted back picked up the stick and went on to finish the race way behind the other runners. What a poignant reminder to keep going no matter what.

I also really enjoyed the opening and closing ceremonies (although I did enjoy the opening more--parts of the closing were a little weird for me), watching medals ceremonies especially for American athletes (I got choked up more than once while listening to The Star-Spangled Banner), watching some of the more obscure sports like canoeing, mountain biking and table tennis and hearing all the great inspirational stories about the athletes, what they have overcome and how they got to where they are now.

It's a little sad that it's over now. It's been an unforgettable 16 days. I relish all the moments of glory, but the humanity of defeat can also be moving in its own way. There's something about the Olympics that seems to bring out the best in people, that unifies and uplifts--triumphs and failures together, we are all part of the same human family. Go USA. Go World.

3 comments:

NO David! said...

What you said.

I also like that all the ad teams seem to pull out their best stuff during the olympics too. Almost as good as the superbowl. Like the new United campaign with Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, or the Nike commercial with Marvin Gaye singing The Star Spangled Banner and the USA mens basketball team practicing layups and doing drills in the foreground. As they say in Alabama, "Thay's good stuff rye thar."

Amy said...

Ditto! I always look forward to the Olympics.

Rencher Fam said...

I feel the same way Jill. Our anthem is pretty cool.