Friday, November 18, 2011

Recipe for Disaster

First let me say that I love my dear brother-in-law. He is as good a man as you'll ever meet. He is kind and fun to be around and hard working. But tonight we had a laugh at his expense. (Shhhhh. Don't tell, I would never want to hurt his feelings.)

Today my sister called me. She told me about a recent meal he made: Alligator, mushroom and peanut butter chili.  Yes, you read that right.

Mr. T (my brother-in-law) and David went to the fish market when we were in Florida a couple of months ago. Mr. T bought alligator meat which they brought back home with them and have been keeping in their freezer. When my sister found it the other day she told him he needed to make something out of it before it went bad and the chili is what he decided sounded good. I think she was thinking along the lines of gumbo or something. When she told me about this chili, I couldn't help laughing. Alligator, mushrooms and peanut butter together has "epic fail" written all over it.

In his defense, Mr. T has made some awesome meals in the past. His gumbo is some of the silkiest, most delicious gumbo I've ever had. This is also the man who made us kimchi stuffing for Thanksgiving a few years ago. It wasn't my favorite but it wasn't awful either. He likes trying new things and sometimes it works out and sometimes. . . It. Doesn't. That happens to the best of us.

So, I was telling my boys about this chili (over our bowls of cold cereal that we had for dinner--at least he cooks, right?) and their comments had me spewing milk out my nose.

Me: Uncle P made alligator, mushroom and peanut butter chili.
Joel: (deadpan) Did he have his glasses on?
[This is where I spewed the milk]
Much laughter.
Danny: Mom are you laughing or crying.
Me: Both.
Seth: Did he make it up?
Me: No, I guess he found a recipe for it.
Seth: That's even worse.

Those were my sentiments as well. Who on earth thought such a thing would be a good idea and how were they brave enough to post such a recipe on the internet? (Now I must Google it to find out.)
In all fairness, I haven't actually tasted said chili so maybe it isn't all I'm imagining it to be.

Not sure I ever want to find out though.

P.S. I just looked and a Google search turned up this recipe. I'm willing to bet this it, so if you are a lot braver than I am and want to try it out, you can.

1 comment:

Diann R. said...

Wow! What an experiment! One that I'm not sure I would ever be brave enough to try. ;)