Sunday, April 26, 2009

Grandma Carter

Grandma Carter

Mary Hall Carter passed away on April 17, 2009. She would have been 89 years old in August this year. This picture was taken last summer when I was in Utah. It was the last time I saw her alive in this life. I loved my grandma dearly I will miss her until we can be reunited in the next life.

My grandpa died 14 years ago and she has missed him every since. I remember shortly after he died I wrote down some of the things I wanted to remember about him in my journal. Since this blog is a journal of sorts I am going to do the same thing for Grandma here. Some may be a little abstract but these are the things that I have been thinking about for the last few days.

Grandma standing in the driveway waving and crying as we left to go home after a visit

Home bottled peaches--still one of my favorite foods

Making chocolate chip cookies for Grandma everytime I visited

Grandma standing in the kitchen shelling peas

Jell-o salad with beets

Pickles!

4th of July picnics

Run, Sheepy, Run!

Bridal showers and baby showers and Christmas talent shows--all hosted by Grandma

Granny Goose Corn

Grandpa's milkshakes (She made these for Grandpa after he found out he had diabetes. The recipe: milk, ice, vanilla, equal. Blend in the blender and serve).

Cosmos, Petunias, Crocus, Irises, Nasturtiums and Trumpet vine.

Grandma and Grandpa sticking their tongues out at each other

Watching movies with Grandma and Bill

Cherries

Grandma took care of everyone

Her calendar was full of all the birthdays of her grandchildren and great grandchildren

Grandma bouncing babies on her knees and singing Pony Boy or Irish Jigs

"Easter time is the time for eggs and the time for eggs is the Easter time."

No one ever left her house hungry--sausage and hominy, cookies in the cookie jar, potato salad, watermelon, jell-o, liver and onions, Cheez-its...

David and I stayed at her house the night that I went into labor with Seth so we would be closer to the hospital

Books: Grandma loved to read--everything from the Book of Mormon to Mary Higgins Clark

Toys at Grandma's house--She always had a box of toys in the garage for the grandchildren to play with when they visited

Gma funeral trip Apr 2009 (105)   Grandma, I love you so much. I will miss you until we meet again.

4 comments:

carla said...

your grandma sounds wonderful!!

Kris said...

I was sorry to hear of your Grandmother's passing. It sounds like she was a wonderful lady and that you have some great memories that will last forever.

Rencher Fam said...

Sounds like your grandma was a really neat lady. What a wonderful tribute to her.

Darcy said...

I wanted to cry when I read your blog Jill, I guess because those memories are also a lot that I have. We all loved her a lot.