Friday, October 06, 2006

"All Things Denote There is a God"

Yesterday was a nice day. I started my day by attending Institute. A bunch of women in the ward here have formed a babysitting pool where each woman takes a turn every several weeks watching the others' children while the others attend institute. It's an hour and a half every Thursday and it's really close by so it's convenient as well. Yesterday we talked about faith which was wonderful because I just recently gave a talk on faith in church and it just solidified in my mind the things I had learned in preparing for the talk. We talked about the three things necessary for faith unto salvation: "1. 'The idea that he [God] actually exists'; 2. 'A correct idea of his character, perfections, and attributes'; and 3. 'An actual knowledge that the course of life which he is pursuing is according to his [God's] will.'" (Joseph Smith as quoted by Bruce R. McConkie in Mormon Doctrine). Another thing Joseph Smith said in his "Lectures on Faith" that stood out to me was that God created the world by faith. That's astounding, incomprehensible faith. I have enough trouble from day to day with faith in little things like that the trials I'm going through will work out for the best. It also seemed a correlary to Alma's testimony in Alma 30:44--"The scriptures are laid before thee, yea, and all things denote there is a God; yea, even the earth, and all things that are upon the face of it, yea, and its motion, yea, and also all the planets which move in their regular form do witness that there is a Supreme Creator. " All things denote that there is a God. The world itself bears testimony of the actual existence of God. I have such reverence for the beautiful world Heavenly Father has created. I am amazed at Heavenly Father's greatness and goodness and unconditional love for each of us.

'Tabblo:

"When I admire the wonder of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in worship of the Creator." ~Mahatma Ghandi

... See my Tabblo>

No comments: