Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Starting Off on the Right Foot

bandaged toe (4)Yes, it's the new year and we always like to get things started off on the right foot. Unfortunately this year, David took things a little too far.  Let me explain. You see, David has had an ingrown toenail on his right big toe for a couple of months now. I have been admonishing him to go see a doctor and he finally decided that yes, that would be a good idea (that or the pain outweighed his stubborn streak). To his credit, he has never had an ingrown toenail before and he had been doing a pretty good job of keeping it clean and generally taking care of it. Nevertheless, these things don't always heal on their own and it has been very painful for him, especially when little boys accidentally step on his toes. He did finally go in to see a podiatrist today (a friend of ours). I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but I didn't expect him to come home during the middle of the day wearing a walking-cast type shoe and with his toe all wrapped up to the size of a tangerine--or a Satsuma at the very least. bandaged toe (9)Apparently the doctor decided to just perform an outpatient surgery right there in his office. I'll spare you the sordid details but suffice it to say that David's toenail will never be the same. Poor David. He takes such pride in his toes. I am glad that he will be able to get better now. I am also glad that I don't have to go out in the snow to feed the chickens like I had to when he broke his leg a few years ago.

8 comments:

Danielle said...

ROFLOL-- he takes such pride in his toes?! Oh, poor Dave!

Jill said...

I'm having a giggling fit right now. :D
It's true though. I've always thought his feet were slightly on the freakish side with that big space between his big and second toes (it kind of looks like there was a 6th toe that was removed) but he insists that he has beautiful feet and says that it makes flip flops quite comfortable. I just have to roll my eyes.

NO David! said...

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: David has beautiful feet."

"How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of David Dunn."

Heather O said...

That is pretty good. But you know I was thinking that with the one toe wrapped it doesn't look like he needs or is missing that extra toe on that foot.

Sorry David, hope it gets better soon!

MelanieH said...

Hmmm.
MY Declaration of Independence and Bible don't read like that, David.

I'm with you Jill, I think his feet are a little freakish too. :)

Mauri said...

Those poor Dunn boys--why can't they stay out of trouble? Between breaking appendages and things like this, I just don't know about them. I'm glad you don't have to feed the chickens, Jill. I don't like chickens, and I really don't like feeding them.

Carter said...

I had the same intricate outpatient surgery on my left big toe a few years ago. Everything has returned to normal - no permanent nail damage. Just thought I would ease your fears.

Samuel James Dunn, Esq. said...

What are you talking about Melanie, my Bible reads exactly like that.
I think that huge mother space makes his foot that much more beautiful. We all know runners have the most attractive feelt.