Saturday, September 12, 2009

9/12

9/11. What a sad day in our nation's history. After 8 years, the emotion of that day is still very close to the surface. I remember watching things unfold and the horror of the whole situation. The pain of those who lost loved ones was almost tangible. However, I also remember the reports of heroism in the following days and weeks. I remember seeing the little flags on people’s cars everywhere. People were united. I remember talking to strangers in line at Walmart and feeling like we all really cared about each other. I remember a stranger giving me a little American flag pin to wear. These remembrances for me are what make the memory of the tragedy bearable. I still feel so sad for all the lives that were lost that day but I also feel grateful and blessed to live in this wonderful country with so many good people who united, buoyed one another up, prayed for each other and mourned together.

In her diary, Anne Frank said, “In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart. I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery and death.” I have to agree. The human spirit will continue to triumph under the worst of circumstances. Good will always ultimately triumph over evil.

Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said “The future of this world has long been declared; the final outcome between good and evil is already known. There is absolutely no question as to who wins because the victory has already been posted on the scoreboard. The only really strange thing in all of this is that we are still down here on the field trying to decide which team’s jersey we want to wear!”  It’s time to decide!

Sometimes I wonder, what really can I do? Little old me. I don’t have power, charisma or fame. People don’t necessarily want to listen to what I have to say. Heck, I have a hard time getting my kids to listen when I tell them to brush their teeth or pick up their socks. Maybe there isn’t a lot I can do at this point, but I can teach my boys. I can stand up for what I believe in. I can try to make my voice heard no matter how small it may be. I want to. I need to. I will.

3 comments:

Jennie said...

I love what you wrote about teaching your boys. Sometimes I get so concerned...am I doing enough? Am I doing what God wants me to do? And then I think of my boys, as you said, and realize what a big job that is. And oh, how important. Yikes! The 9.12 project is very exciting...big things are happening! Onward!

Mauri said...

I think you have a greater impact than you realize, Jill. Teaching those boys is huge. You know what Elder Maxwell said about raising a family: "When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses? When the surf of the centuries has made the great pyramids so much sand, the everlasting family will still be standing, because it is a celestial institution, formed outside telestial time. The women of God know this."

MelanieH said...

I'm glad you shared your memories of this. I have a hard time when the anniversary comes around each year because of the emotions I still feel. Sometimes I left those overshadow the good memories of the unity and love we all felt for our fellowmen after the tragedy. Thanks for the reminder. BTW, I love the story of someone giving you a flag pin. Thinking about that small act just made my day better.