Sunday, September 13, 2009

Curb Appeal

A couple of weeks ago when my grandpa was here visiting we did a little curb shopping and picked up this desk. straight from the curbWe were headed out to the van on Sunday morning to go to church and someone had put it out with the trash to be picked up on Monday. I called to David to look it over and since we were in a hurry he just picked it up and put it in the house (curb shopping isn’t breaking the Sabbath is it?). When we got home from church I looked it over more closely. One of the legs had come off and it looked like someone had started to sand it down and then decided it wasn’t worth it. It looked pretty bad. However, I saw potential. More importantly perhaps, I have really wanted to get Joel a desk for quite some time now so this was manna from heaven.

I sanded it down a bit, glued the leg back on with some Gorilla Glue and painted it Dill Pickle (yes, that was the name of the paint color). Green is Joel’s favorite. I had just finished it last night when the boys got home from the football game. This is what it looks like now:

renovated angle renovated Joel loves it. I think he is actually excited to have something to do at it. He told me he had homework this weekend to write a story and it wasn’t until later that I found out he was putting me on. I think he just wanted to sit at his desk. I realize the novelty will wear off eventually but for now I am very excited for Joel to have a quiet place to sit and do his homework. He’s pretty distractible and I think this will be a great way for him to have some peace while he’s working. Maybe the homework will go a little more smoothly now. Here’s hoping!

  • Sandpaper: $2
  • Glue: $3
  • Paint: $12
  • Foam Roller and tray: $3
  • Not having to fight with my 8 year old every night about homework: Priceless

8 comments:

carla said...

very nice!!

Kris said...

That is awesome. I love it. Don't you just love a bargain? Especially something you can admire and feel satisfaction from.

Addie said...

Nice job on the desk! What a facelift! :) I love the green, too.

Mom said...

The desk is beautiful, and Joel is so lucky to have you for a Mom. "Having a Mother who will help and support you in doing your homework so you can be happy and successful in school: Priceless!"

Amy said...

That is a fantastic find, Jill! Way to see the potential!

Mauri said...

Wow Jill. It looks fantastic! I love the way the desk turned out. Seriously, is there anything you can't do? (I'm pretty sure there isn't.)

MelanieH said...

Wow, I am so impressed. Can I borrow some of your ambition?

Heather O said...

Awesome desk, it almost makes me want to do homework. :)