Monday, July 04, 2011

Happy Fourth of July

I love the Fourth of July. We had a nearly perfect day celebrating with our own little family and some great friends. So, what makes a nearly perfect Fourth of July you ask? Well, let me tell you.

We started the day by flying our flag and having a brunch of red, white and blue pancakes (pancakes topped with strawberries, blueberries and bananas) and bacon. The bacon is a must if you want the day to be nearly perfect.

I made the boys pose for pictures wearing their red, white and blue.

After the obligatory posing for pictures we headed on over to our friends' house for dinner, swimming and games. We ate watermelon and my Grandma Carter's potato salad and drank lemonade. We had white hots (that we brought home from our trip to Rochester in May and stuck in the freezer for just such and occasion) cooked on the grill and too many desserts. We had jell-o shaped like the United States. I ate New Mexico.

Before dinner there was swimming. After dinner there was an epic game of wiffle ball--parents versus kids. I think we played something like fifteen innings. The parents won by one in the end but the kids had some pretty amazing plays.

After the game, we packed up our stuff and headed home for a quick break before the city fireworks show.
My sweet friend gifted me some sparklers after I mentioned to her that I wasn't able to find any anywhere, so we lit those and had a ball. We tried to write words and take pictures but I am not a skilled enough photographer to make it work.That's okay. It was still a blast.



Danny was prepared for the fireworks. He covered his ears the minute we got into the car and didn't uncover them until the show was entirely over.

After the sparklers we piled into the car and headed to the same spot we watched the fireworks last year. If we are still in Auburn next year we will have to do it again and make it our tradition. The fireworks didn't disappoint. Nate and Danny both fell asleep before the end of the show. Three of the four boys were asleep in the car by the time we got home around 9:30.

We played hard today. We got sunburns and bug bites. We came home exhausted and happy and content and grateful. I love America. I love the freedoms we are blessed to enjoy. I love the men and women who have sacrificed for me and my family. I love our founding fathers and how inspired they were when they established this nation. I love that we are all entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I love that I can celebrate all these things with my family.

Happy birthday, America! God bless you!


1 comment:

Heather O said...

How fun, I love all the pictures. I love that Seth is wearing blue and not his red. :) Jack and Danny would have been in the same boat covering their ears, although Jack was holding a blanket on his head and covering his ears.