Saturday, July 02, 2011

He's Strong to the Finich

"'Cause he eats his spinach. . ."
The birthday boy.
Spinach on the birthday cake.
Today we celebrated Nate's 7th birthday. He requested spinach, spinach and more spinach for his birthday dinner. It is his favorite. He even asked that his birthday cake be decorated with some spinach leaves just for him. The other boys were glad that they wouldn't be expected to eat spinach with their cake. 

Birthday dinner. Yum.
We had Creamy Lasagna Roll-Ups Florentine (Thanks, Heather!), Strawberry Spinach Salad (Thanks, Danielle!), breadsticks and the cake. It was all delicious. I'm with Nate. No wonder he loves spinach--it is so good!

Making a wish.
Taking a breath and getting ready to blow!
Blowing out the candles after I had to relight them because Danny blew them out the first time.
After dinner we did our traditional family party with cake and presents. Nate waited patiently all day long to open presents so he could do it when David was home. I remember how hard it was to wait when I was that age, but he was a trooper. We sang "Happy Birthday" and he blew out his candles but he wanted to open presents before eating cake so we acquiesced.

Opening his new Lego watch from Grandma and Grandpa.

The first of the Legos.

Opening presents is serious business, apparently.

Holding up the Legos he just opened. That was about as excited as he got tonight.
We wrapped up the evening by joining several friends to watch the fireworks in our neighboring town. They put on a great show. We told Nate that not everyone gets fireworks on their birthday. I've never had them on my birthday. Have you?



Nate has always been a firecracker. He entered the world with a bang--my beautiful 9 pound 12 ounce baby.

The Sampson of the NICU.
He scared us a few times early on but he has been a healthy, vivacious, bright child. We love him so much and are so glad he is part of our family.
First birthday--six years ago.
Seventh birthday.

I have to include this short clip of the fireworks tonight. Seeing my husband laugh, having my children around me--it was a perfect end to the day.



5 comments:

carla said...

what a great birthday!!!

FOREVER YOUNGblood said...

He is so cute! My baby will be celebrating her 5th birthday tomorrow. So I guess some people get fireworks. She also was a big baby 9pounds 2 ounces and came in this world scaring me to death! your boys are so cute Jill!

Mom said...

We love lots of pictures!! Thanks so much for taking the time to keep us all updated on your very wonderful and beautiful family. Happy Birthday Nate and America!

Mauri said...

"A real-live nephew of his Uncle Sam born on the first of July." So funny that he requested spinach. I love how you incorporated it into the cake!

Heather O said...

I love it, all of it! I wish I could have fireworks on my birthday. I am glad you enjoyed the spinach dinner, sounds like it was amazing.