Friday, August 29, 2008

You CAN!

A friend sent me this video in an email. A lot of times I just consider this kind of stuff spam and delete it but I was so glad that I took a few minutes to watch this one. After I watched it I went searching on the web for a little more information. This father/son team known as Team Hoyt has been competing in races for years. It started when the son, Ricky, was in high school and learned about a charity race for a student who had been paralyzed from the waist down. He asked his dad to run the race with him. His dad agreed even though he had a heart condition. Everyone expected they might only run to the corner and turn around and run back but they finished the whole 5 miles together. Race after race followed. Eventually the son asked his dad to do the Ironman Triathlon with him. The Ironman is the toughest of all triathlons. It is made up of a 2.4 mile swim in the ocean, a 112 mile bike ride and culminates in a marathon (26.2 miles). It takes place along the coast of the big island of Hawaii.
There are several wonderful videos that you might find worth your time on YouTube including interviews with the dad, Dick Hoyt and background information about Dick and Ricky, but I chose this one because it was the one I saw first and the message at the end is my favorite. You might want to have some kleenex handy.

1 comment:

Rencher Fam said...

I love this story Jill. Alan actually met them at a triathlon that he did. It is such an inspirational story. Thanks for the video-I had never seen that one.