Friday, October 02, 2009

My Role as a Mother

I’ve been thinking a lot about my roles as a wife and a mother lately. I guess this isn’t really anything new. How can one help but think about these roles every day when life is filled with folding laundry, washing dishes and changing diapers? I know that my role as a mother is so much more than those seemingly mundane tasks though. I “have a sacred duty to rear [my] children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, to observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they live.” (The Family: A Proclamation to the World).

That’s quite a tall order, but I feel equal to the task. Heavenly Father has armed me with the things I need to protect my family—the Gospel of Jesus Christ, His words in the scriptures, a loving and supportive husband, a strong mind, the blessing of being able to go to Him in prayer and know that He is listening  and a heart filled with love for my family.

Gordon B. Hinckley said:

“Never forget that these little ones are the sons and daughters of God and that yours is a custodial relationship to them, that He was a parent before you were parents and that He has not relinquished His parental rights or interest in these His little ones. … Rear your children in love, in the nurture and admonition of the Lord. Take care of your little ones. Welcome them into your homes, and nurture and love them with all of your hearts. They may do, in the years that come, some things you would not want them to do, but be patient, be patient. You have not failed as long as you have tried” (“Words of the Living Prophet,” Liahona, May 1998, 26–27; “Excerpts from Recent Addresses of President Gordon B. Hinckley,” Ensign, July 1997, 73)

I know I’m not a perfect mother (or wife) but I also know that I am sincerely trying. I fall short at times (don’t we all?) but I feel that my offering is acceptable. And that is all I need for now to keep me going.

5 comments:

carla said...

you are such an amazing woman. i'm glad i know you.

Addie said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They do more good than you know. I'll take this perspective and encouragement and keep them close as I think daily about being a new mom.

Amy said...

This is a talk that I have been reading over and over lately;
http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=9694558fcc599110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

You are such a wonderful mother and a great example!

MelanieH said...

I love that quote. Thanks for sharing.

Anne said...

Just what I needed to hear this afternoon. Love you.