Saturday, April 09, 2011

Ice Cream for Breakfast

mint chip via Tumblr

Joel and I share an affinity for mint chocolate chip ice cream. It is one of our favorites. I think he likes having this thing in common with me. He was very excited to point out this common ground between us on Monday night as we were eating our ice cream after family night.

This morning Joel brought me a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream for breakfast because I am “the best mom ever.” I didn’t have the heart to tell him “no thanks, I’d rather stick with rice chex.” I took the bowl and told him thank you and then with a glint of hope in his eyes he asked me “Can I have a bowl?”

Ah, so that was it--the true motivation. Naturally I couldn’t say no. After all I was having a bowl of ice cream for breakfast so that made it alright, right?

For the most important meal of the day, I consumed my daily allotment of fat and sugar. Yeah! Bill Cosby might point out that there is milk in ice cream—dairy. That’s one of the food groups. Chocolate comes from beans and beans are vegetables, right? There’s nutrition!

I think if I want to lose these fifteen pounds that have been plaguing me since baby number four (nearly four years ago) I’ll have to discourage Joel from bringing me any more breakfasts in bed. Or at least ask him to bring grapefruit next time.

Things I am grateful for today:

  • my dishwasher
  • laughing
  • a nap
  • air conditioning
  • clean bathrooms
  • and yes, mint chocolate chip ice cream

2 comments:

Heidi said...

That's fantastic! Gavin has done that for me before (at a different time of day). Excellent.

Heather O said...

Love this!