Sunday, December 16, 2012

The True Meaning of Christmas

I have a collection of Christmas picture books that has been growing since we had our first baby a month before Christmas fourteen years ago. Starting in December I put them all in a basket and set them on the hearth. Each night the boys choose one or two apiece (depending on the lateness of the hour and how rapidly bedtime is approaching). Last night after an exhausting day (Christmas parade in the morning, raking leaves for a widow we know for nearly five hours, and a lengthy band concert) we arrived home exhausted and well past bedtime--and we hadn't even had dinner yet. After a quick supper of french toast I told the boys  they could choose ONE book. Squabbling ensued. Nate wanted All You Need for a Snowman and Danny wanted one called There Was No Snow on Christmas Eve (both are great books). After a little discussion we decided on the latter because as Danny so wisely pointed out, "Christmas isn't about snowmen. Christmas is about Jesus."

Yes. Yes it is. Thank you for the reminder, sweet boy.

I've shared this quote from Jeffrey R. Holland before, but it is one of my favorites. Speaking of the birth of our Savior he said:

At this focal point of all human history, a point illuminated by a new star in the heavens revealed for just such a purpose, probably no other mortal watched—none but a poor young carpenter, a beautiful virgin mother, and silent stabled animals who had not the power to utter the sacredness they had seen.
Shepherds would soon arrive and later, wise men from the East. Later yet the memory of that night would bring Santa Claus and Frosty and Rudolph—and all would be welcome. But first and forever there was just a little family, without toys or trees or tinsel. With a baby—that’s how Christmas began. ("Maybe Christmas Doesn't Come from a Store", Jeffrey R. Holland)

Kindergarten Children at Danny's Holiday Celebration program last week. He's in the back row in the middle. White shirt and glasses.

I've been busy. Busy with projects, presents, parties, programs and appointments. It's that time of year. You know how it is.

Friday's shooting in Connecticut has given me pause and caused me to reflect on what is really important. The loss of so many innocent children--not much more than babies themselves really--has weighed me down. I have hugged my kids pretty tightly several times this weekend. I have cried a lot as I read news stories and tried to explain to my own children. Although I do not know the agony of losing a child personally, I think because I am a mom and have a child close to the same age as those who lost their lives that this tragedy has hit close to home for me. In my mind's eye I keep picturing these bereaved families on Christmas morning with unopened presents lovingly chosen for their sweet children. I ache for the families who are hurting so much right now. But at the same time I have hope.

How grateful I am for my Savior, Jesus Christ and His infinite atonement and His promise of a resurrection!

Declared the prophet Isaiah:
“Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: …
“… He was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed” (Isa. 53:4–5).
This is the wondrous and true story of Christmas. The birth of Jesus in Bethlehem of Judea is preface. The three-year ministry of the Master is prologue. The magnificent substance of the story is His sacrifice, the totally selfless act of dying in pain on the cross of Calvary to atone for the sins of all of us.
The epilogue is the miracle of the Resurrection, bringing the assurance that “as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive” (1 Cor. 15:22).
There would be no Christmas if there had not been Easter. The babe Jesus of Bethlehem would be but another baby without the redeeming Christ of Gethsemane and Calvary, and the triumphant fact of the Resurrection.
I believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Eternal, Living God. None so great has ever walked the earth. None other has made a comparable sacrifice or granted a comparable blessing. He is the Savior and the Redeemer of the world. I believe in Him. I declare His divinity without equivocation or compromise. I love Him. I speak His name in reverence and wonder. I worship Him as I worship His Father, in spirit and in truth. I thank Him and kneel before His Beloved Son who reached out long ago and said to each of us, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28). ("The Wondrous and True Story of Christmas", Gordon B. Hinckley)

Is it any wonder that angels sang with joy at the announcement of  Christ's birth? 

So while I will mourn and continue to pray for those affected by this terrible tragedy, I will celebrate Christmas with a grateful heart because Christmas is about Jesus.

God be thanked for the gift of His son.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

This is so beautiful Jill! I love you!

susanti said...

Welcome back!!!!!!!!! I've missed you.