Saturday, April 16, 2011

On Adversity

METHUSELAH
Amazing photo by Rick Goldwasser via Flickr. Used with permission. Thanks Rick! :)

Adversity. We all face it. It comes in many forms: illness, loss of a loved one, physical or mental disabilities, financial difficulties, depression, rebellious children. Take your pick. I’ll admit that sometimes I start feeling like I have more than my fair share. I’ll spare you the laundry list. If you read this blog very often you are undoubtedly already aware of some of the adversity that I’ve been “blessed” with. I won’t pretend that I know exactly how to deal with adversity. I am still learning, but I have been giving a lot of thought to this subject lately. Here’s what I’ve been thinking. . . 
 
The above photograph is of a bristlecone pine tree. This particular tree is located in the White Mountains of eastern California. It is among the oldest non-clonal organisms living on earth. It is probably in the neighborhood of 4,000+ years old. These trees grow just below the tree line. They endure cold temperatures, short growing seasons, very little precipitation and buffeting winds. Because of these adverse growing conditions, the trees grow very slowly. “The wood is very dense and resinous, and thus resistant to invasion by insects, fungi, and other potential pests.” (Wikipedia)
This tree is twisted by wind and age—gnarled, bent and barren, but I think it is one of the most beautiful trees I have ever seen. Thousands of years of adversity have sculpted and smoothed it into a natural work of art.
Adversity can do the same for us. Orson F. Whitney said:
"No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God . . . "
We can become strengthened and yes, beautified, by our adversity. Our sharp corners are rubbed off; our roughness is smoothed out. We are shaped, polished, softened and made to bend, but all of these things contribute to our ultimately becoming both more resilient and more refined. They make us into what God wants us to become.
Sometimes it becomes necessary to slow down (like those amazing, slow-growing trees), evaluate our situation and prioritize. We can’t do everything. We can’t solve every problem. We aren’t expected to try to run faster than we have strength. We just have to keep moving forward, enduring, remaining steadfast and unshakeable in our faith that “all things work together for good to them that love God. . .” (Romans 8:26).
 
Good timber does not grow in ease;
The stronger wind, the tougher trees;
By sun and cold, by rain and snows,
In tree or man, good timber grows.
                                ~Mark Malloch-Brown

In the past I’ve thought of my personal adversities as a rubber band that has been stretched for too long and has become brittle and lost its ability to return to its original shape. I’ve felt overwhelmed and beaten down. After much thought, I realize that my adversities don’t break me or stretch me beyond repair. They are difficult, to be sure, but they are helping me become like a bristlecone pine tree. They are  forming me—over long, slow years—into something beautiful and amazing. I still have a long way to go but I have a feeling I will have many more opportunities to grow (like the tree) into something exceptional.

*More on adversity:

5 comments:

Addie said...

What a wonderful blog, Jill. Your words are calming and encouraging. Thank you for sharing this. I had a week this week that felt like it was breaking me down. I've been trying to do not what I feel like doing or saying, but doing or saying what God would want me to. Sometimes it feels like it takes so much energy and strength that I feel I don't have. Your words give me perspective. I will hold onto that image. So true, so true. Thank you!

Danielle said...

My dear, dear, bosom friend -- thank you so much for this post. I just printed it out and stuck it in my journal.

I followed one of the links from Wikipedia about bristlecones and found this tidbit:

"During cool summers, the trees live on energy produced that summer and grow on the reserves stored from the previous year."

While I'm not always grateful for the "cool summers" in my life, I am grateful for the "reserves stored from the previous year(s)." When I am discouraged, I find great strength in the testimony that I have worked so hard to build -- especially when I feel spiritually stagnant.

Well, that was the long version of "you're awesome and thanks for giving me something to think about this morning." You're the best.

Heidi said...

Beautiful! Have you ever read the Segullah blog? I think you would like it.

Heather O said...

Aren't those trees amazing? We saw them when we went to Great Basin National Park a few years ago. I love the analogies and lessons that can be learned from observing God's wonderful creations in nature. Thanks for your post!

Josh Long said...

Excellent article. You should seriously consider submitting this to the Ensign.

This topic is very apropos for me, given that my 2-year-old son is in the hospital and just underwent chemotherapy, radiation, and a bone marrow transplant. Prior to all this, I never had any idea what a terrible emotional burden such things could be on an entire family.

To add to the list of recommended readings on this topic, there were two great talks from the recent General Conference that stood out to me:

* "The Atonement Covers All Pain" by Kent F. Richards
* "More Than Conquerors through Him That Loved Us" by Paul V. Johnson