Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Cinnamon Rolls and Starry Nights

cinnamon rolls (1)

There are few things, culinarily speaking, as lovely as hot, fresh bread. Add cinnamon, butter, brown sugar and pecans to the mix and the result is something truly delightful. I made two pans of cinnamon rolls this evening: one with pecans and one with raisins for my nut-allergic husband. I just ate a warm one with a tall glass of cold milk. Heaven.

Speaking of Heaven. . .

It is a cold, clear night and the stars are out. Looking at stars always makes me feel closer to Heaven. That is a lovely feeling.

 starry night photo Hidden Galaxy IC 342
Credit & Copyright: Robert Gendler (via NASA Photo of the Day)

“Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of heaven,
Blossomed the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels.”
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Lovely, yes? Did you know April is National Poetry Month? As far as poets go, I think Longfellow is pretty great.

Here is one last lovely this evening: I’ve always been partial to this painting by van Gogh.

Starry-NightVincent van Gogh’s “The Starry Night

Painting, Oil on Canvas
Saint-Rémy, France: June, 1889
The Museum of Modern Art
New York, New York, United States of America, North America

What loveliness did the day bring to you?

No comments: