Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ad-Libbing

Today was the annual children's program at church. The children work hard all year learning songs to sing about the theme for the year. Each child also has a speaking part. The message always centers around Jesus Christ and His gospel.

I look forward to this Sunday each year--and not just because it is the one Sunday where my children are under someone else's supervision--but because it is such a sweet, spiritual (and often funny) experience.  This year's program did not disappoint.

I waited excitedly for each of my boys to have their turn saying their part. We had practiced at home so I felt confident that they would do well.

Nate said his line with only a minor glitch of being in the wrong spot and saying his line before he was supposed to.

When it came time for Daniel to say his part, he was supposed to fill in the blank. The teacher said "I can follow the prophet by. . ." Daniel had practiced saying "being a good brother" but at the last minute he thought of something he wanted to say more:
He leaned into the microphone and clearly said, "Uhhh, my mom is awesome!"

I couldn't help it, I laughed out loud. So did a lot of other people.

He didn't get his line right, but it kinda made my day. I got lots of comments from friends after the meeting. I reassured everyone that no, I did not bribe him to say that. I really am just an awesome mom.

At least he thinks so.


5 comments:

Heidi said...

THAT is fantastic!

Suzy Q said...

I love that! What a cute little guy!

Addie said...

Awesome! Those are the days that make it all worth it. Thanks for sharing! :)

Ashley said...

haha, LOVE that!!

Amy said...

His mom IS awesome.